I was beyond furious but there was nothing I could really do. Last week, we had to stay at our godparents' place in San Mateo just to be able to come to work (and yeah, this is one of the disadvantages of working at home, you don't rejoice during down times).
Here's a summary of our experience. I don't have the exact dates but this what I can remember:
1. About 2 months ago, our internet connection has been intermittent. I didn't really worry much because it just comes in a few seconds then come back on. This seldom happens.
2. Few days after, we notice that the intermittent connection got worse and the down times had become more frequent so we called for a technician.
3. Internet technician came the day after I called and "repaired" the internet (not sure what he did but he was here for less that 10 minutes). The internet connection went back and was working good for about a day.
4. I made another call to complain and they had another technician come to "repair" the internet connection and it was working for a few days again.
5. Only the internet modem was working, if we connect the internet to a wifi router, we wouldn't have any access. I called and another technician came and blamed the 2 Cisco wifi routers we have for not working properly anymore. Said he could try to configure them but I would have to pay extra (which I agreed), whatever it takes just to have everything back working. He stayed for about an hour trying to fix everything but to no avail.
6. The owner of the house we live in was able to fix the problem o quickly and the wifi routers are back working perfectly.
7. We noticed that every time we use the telephone to make an outgoing call, the internet goes off for a few seconds then comes back on again. So we called and have another technician come. They're the internet technicians and said they couldn't fix the problem because it will be the telephone technicians' job.
8. We waited for a line man (phone technician) to come but no showed up so I called again. Made another appointment, and to my surprise, they had another internet technician come who said the very same thing (a lineman should be the one to fix it).
9. So I called again (really mad at the whole situation already) and demanded for a lineman to come to repair the issue. I demanded to talk to a supervisor to make sure it's a phone technician's (not an internet tech's) appointment and they did call to confirm.
10. Two linemen came to check the line for a few minutes and left. Said it's been fixed but we'll have to still observe it. They left after about 5 minutes. That very day, at work, I was suddenly offline for about 4 hours (great right?).
11. This exchange of calls and appointment went on and on that I started to loose hope that everything will be taken care of.
12. Last Wednesday, I made another call to complain the exact same problem. I was told it took time to repair because it was an outside wiring problem and mainbox problem (I don't really know what they mean anymore). Rep said he'd make yet ANOTHER appointment for an internet/phone technician to come to make sure both the internet and phone can be checked on the next visit. (Are you kidding me??!!! Meron naman palang repairman na kayang ayusin pareho ang internet at landline, di nyo na pinadala dati pa!!!).
13. Yesterday, June 11th, another technician came. I asked if he was a lineman or an internet technician, he says he does both. He checked the DSL router for a little while and I also told him about the phone that doesn't have dial tones anymore. He left to check the main box outside (or whatever they're called) and came back to tell Dane the problem's been fixed and told us to observe the internet connection.
Since yesterday, I don't see any problems with the internet connection and I am just so relieved. But the entire experience was an aweful nightmare for me. I would never want to experience this ever again. Plus, the burden of talking to customer service reps who say so many different things, most of them just don't agree to each other. The 2nd person says a different thing than the first person, etc.
I would never refer Bayantel to anyone. To me, Bayantel is the worst Internet Service Provider in the Philippines. I will never forget this very stressful experience we have with them. I got so many lost hours at work and had my reliability at risk because of this and I'd remember travelling at night to San Mateo with Nate, my 1 year old son and Dane just to be able to have an internet connection for work.
This is nightmare will never be forgotten. I hope it's over so I can go back to my blogging routines.
Have you ever had a negative experience with your ISP provider? Share your thoughts!